The NEW Soleus GPS 1.0 watches have arrived at Southern Runner! In order to get a better understanding of the watch we had one of our run group regulars try it out and write a review.
Soleus GPS 1.0 Review
Watch out Garmin, Soleus is the new kid on the block in the world of GPS running
watches. In September 2011, Soleus released its first GPS watch, the Soleus GPS 1.0. Priced at $
99, the GPS 1.0 serves as a competitor for Garmin’s Forerunner series of watches at fifty dollars
cheaper than Forerunner series’ least expensive option. For the budget conscious runner who
wants to track the pace and distance of runs, the GPS 1.0 offers many of the same features as the
Forerunner series without the same price tag. If you are in the market for a GPS running watch,
here are the pros and cons of the Soleus GPS 1.0:
1. Price- Like I said before, at $ 99, the GPS 1.0 is $ 50 less expensive than Garmin’s least
expensive option, the Forerunner 205.
2. Appearance- The GPS 1.0 has the small, sleek, rounded look of the more expensive
Garmin Forerunner 410 and 610. It also comes in three different colors (black/pink,
black/green, and black/gray).
3. Ease of use- Without reading the user’s manual, I was able to figure out how to use the
pace and distance features of the watch and change the unit of distance from kilometer to
mile within the first run I wore the watch through simple trial and error. After spending
a few minutes playing with the run mode of the watch, I discovered how to use the data
feature to review each mile of my run. Overall, if you take a few minutes to experiment
with the features of the watch and are willing to make a few press a few of the wrong
buttons, odds are you will be able to figure out how to use the GPS 1.0.
4. Battery life- After leaving the watch on the charger overnight, I used the GPS 1.0 for one
run and then let it sit without use for 2 full days, and when I checked the watch on the
third day, the battery was still at 80 percent.
1. No uploading- Unlike the Garmin Forerunner series, the GPS 1.0 is not equipped to
upload and share data.
2. Data storage- The GPS 1.0 can only store 100 laps.
All in all, if you are looking to see what a GPS watch has to offer without the price and/or
technological intricacies of the Garmin Forerunner series, the Soleus GPS 1.0 is a quality
introduction to GPS running watches.
-Mary Erin Imwalle